Thursday, May 15, 2008

Kendo (the Way of the Sword)



I shared a wonderful time with the guest sensei from Japan and my Kendo Club last night on a goodbye BBQ for the visiting sensei that leave tomorrow for Japan. Iwai Sensei turned from a strict sensei into a loving grandfather who was rocking Leela and singing her softly to sleep. I thought how wonderful that was. We tend to view people by our experience with them. Iwai sensei let me see him as a grandfather....a kind gentle man. When my only other experience was a sensei that was pounding the oblivion out of me.

Here was my little girl, being held by a very high ranked, well respected sensei in Japan. It is possible she will never meet him again, or it may be many many years until his return to the US. But here he was, rocking and singing my little one to sleep as any grandfather would do for their grandchildren. I felt truly blessed, and it was a great honor in just that simple act.

I have been reflecting a lot on my Kendo practice. I have throughly enjoyed practicing Kendo. My fellow classmates and teachers are very solid, down to earth, honest people. I have been surrounded by a lot of false personalities in my life. It is a comfort to have people that you can learn from and know as a person. I think practicing Kendo with them has led to inroads a normal interaction can never achieve.

No comments: